Sunday, March 21, 2010

Grasslands Trail Half Marathon...A HUGE Step Outta My Comfort Zone


Grasslands Trail Half Marathon...wow...not really sure where to start with this one! We had just experienced some beautiful weather during Spring Break, on Friday it was sunny and 70 degrees. The forecast was calling for terrible weather on Saturday--starting with rain and then falling temperatures and then eventually snow. When the alarm clock went off at 5:00 am we could hear the rain pouring down outside. I was really not excited about the thought of going out for a 13.5 mile run through the woods. However, race time was not until 8:30 so I held on to hope that the conditions would improve. We left the house by 6:00 and it was still pouring....drove through Denton, still pouring....drove into Decatur, still pouring. I will be completely honest here, I was hoping that the race would be cancelled. That way I could just go home guilt free as the decision would be out of my control.

The rain began to ease up as we neared the LBJ Grasslands, site of the race. As we drove the roads got smaller and switched over from paved roads and into gravel/dirt roads. The ultra marathon (50 miles) was scheduled to start at 7:00 and as we approached the race site, we saw runners in the dark woods with headlamps on their heads. Some of them looked quite dazed as I am sure the thought of running 50 miles in those conditions was daunting. We made it down to the race start area, parked the car in what seemed like a foot of mud, and looked at each other. I still wasn't sold on the idea of running a trail half marathon in this weather. I said over and over "if it was a raod race I wouldn't think twice, but the trails scare me a little." Erik and I picked up our numbers and our shirts and decided that we were committed and would do this. I could tell that Erik was really exicted about it and I knew that if we stuck together we would be okay.

I am not sure how many people ran the half marathon, but it was a smaller number than the race directors were expecting. There were several other runners who were taking on their first trail half that day and eveyone joked about how it was a "doozie" of a first race. Before I knew it we were off! We were immediately slipping and sliding through a thick, slippery red mud. I kept thinking about cookie dough soup, as that is what the consistency felt like to me. It was so cold in the beginning too, I couldn't feel my hands and I knew that my feet were really cold.

As if all of that wasn't challenging enough, there was a crazy ravine/gultch early in the race. Some of the runners were just sliding down of their feet--as if they were skiing! I was pretty worried about how I would make it down and Erik was very patient and helpful as he made it down before I did. However, I got to the bottom only to realize that we had to go right back up again!! It was pretty scary and slippery, but we made it. I felt like I had been running for a while and made the mistake of glancing at my watch...excatly 20 minutes had passed...ugh...long day ahead!

I really started to worry that I had bitten off more than I could chew and I also wondered how in the world one could be rescued if they chose not to finish. I expressed some of this to Erik and he asked "Are you outside of your comfort zone?" I answered with a meek "Yes" and we carried onward. My feet were soaked and I was caked with mud beyond my ankles, and I was trying my hardest to make the best of it. Did I mention that it was 32 degrees with a 15 mph north wind and the occasional snow flurry??

The 1st aid station was 4 miles in and it took us about an hour to get there (waayyyy off my usual pace). As I was standing there, glancing at my map, another runner came up and asked where we were. He looked at me and said "Could that be you?" It was Mr Grady, a special education teacher in my school district. He was doing the ultra marathon and said "This isn't very much fun, is it?" It gave me a little boost to see someone that I knew and someone who could back up my story about how tough this whole thing was.

We ran on for what seemed like forever. The mud was so thick and slippery in places that I had trouble just walking and nearly did the splits several times. I did try to lift my eyes and look around every now and again and I saw some beautiful scenery. There were ponds and windmills and some of the trees were beginning to flower for spring.

I was so happy to finally be finished! It took us over three and a half hours, I am certainly not used to racing for that long at once--it was almost like 2 races to me as far as time goes. I could feel every part of my lower body from the hips down to my feet. My shoes were soaked and my socks were filled with mud. We devoured our free BBQ sandwhiches and then found an outhouse in which to change clothes. I didn't realize just how cold my hands and feet were until we stopped running. I had trouble taking my shoes and socks off as my hands were so cold and numb. I began to ponder the possiblity of frostbite, but then decided that it probably wasn't cold enough for that just yet.

So that was my first trail run. Did I like it? Not excatly...but I can see the potential in trail running. I think that the Grasslands Half could be really awesome on a sunny and dry day. Am I ready to close the door on trail running? No way! I might even come back and do this one again next year.

They say that the only way to grow is to get outside of your comfort zone. If this is true, then I grew alot yesterday. There is nothing at all about Michelle Kennemer that is comfortable running around in freezing temperatures and mud. I started running because I wanted to do "something hard." This latest challenge fits that bill for sure. This race might have been the hardest thing that I have ever done. I am happy that I did it and I do think that it makes me stronger as a person and a runner. I am really excited about my next road race, it should seem easy after these 13.5 miles. That which doesn't kill you, right?

4 comments:

  1. That which doesn't kill you will diffently make you stronger! I promise you that! I was told at Scottish Rites Hospital-" I would never have children" and " I would be bed riden at age 30." I have a beautiful, smart, funny and loving daughter. And I'm way past 30 and jogging now. I never let anything bring me down. Pain and I go hand and hand. But, by looking at me, you could never tell. I fight my fights with a head held high. I beat the odds. I'm very proud of you! Break your comfort zones! Keep going strong! And Congrats to you and Eric!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! What an adventure! Trail running sounds like fun but I, too, would rather do it on a dry, sunny day. I want to try one even after reading about how bad it got at times! Congratulations for sticking it out! You and Erik are awesome and a real inspiration for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was my first trail run too! Our race reports are almost the same, except my dad and I got lost getting to the race (started about 30 minutes late) and we got lost on the trails. But I'm thinking about running it again next year lol!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wasn't that something!! I wasn't too happy at the time, but am really glad that I did it. I am certainly giving it some thought for next year.

    ReplyDelete