Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Runner Girl on Wheels

For some time now I would watch a number of my runner friends meet up on their shiny bikes for long rides throughout the country side where they encountered donkeys, llamas, and other assorted farm animals.  I was quite jealous and desperately longed to join them, but the time just wasn't right.  Too much going on with running, training for races, work, yada, yada.....

Mr K had a birthday over Memorial Day weekend and while out looking for something to do we found ourselves in a bike shop.  We were just "looking" and "gathering information" we told the salesman....until he wandered over to the used section and pulled a beautiful blue Specialized Dolce in my perfect size off of the rack.  It was love at first sight....but we were just looking....so Mr K and I went on our way, but soon found ourselves back at the shop to purchase the bike.  Yes, that's right...Mr K got me a bike for his birthday.  What a guy!

Introducing Breeze
My first few trips around the block were rather wobbly as I had not been on a bike in many years, but I soon got the hang of it.  I stayed on the streets near my house for a while just to get completely comfortable before heading out onto the open road. 

Will ride for tacos?
The first day of summer vacation I loaded up my shiny blue bike (the name is Breeze, by the way) and headed over to Mary's side of town with Erin in tow for my first "long" ride.  Mary has a route along some beautiful country roads with nice rolling hills.  We saw donkeys, mini horses, and a goat!  I am pretty sure that I smiled the whole time and had alot of laughs as I tried to figure out how all of those fancy gears worked.  At times my feet were spinning madly as I was barely moving and shifting gears like crazy trying to find the right one.  Mary and Erin were so patient and helpful with me as I was no doubt slowing them down.  Ah....so much to learn! 

Myself, Mary, and Erin after a fun ride!
I began to explore my little 'burb and found that there is a bicycle route that picks up near my house and goes all the way to a park on the other side of town.  It is the perfect length for a ride and can be made longer with more loops around the lake park.  I am sure that I will grow weary of this route soon, but I am enjoying the newness of it for now.

I am jumping into the cycling world pretty quickly as I have signed up for my first big bike rally, the Tour de Pepper, this Saturday.  I am going to take Breeze out for a 34 mile ride--exactly double my longest ride to date.  Frunner and cyclist extraordinaire, That Pink Girl (TPG), has offered to take Mama C, Mr K, and myself--a bunch of total noobs--along for the ride.  The promise of a day spent with friends and all the Dublin Dr Pepper that I can drink was just too tempting to pass up! 

And in case you were curious, after an extensive search Mr K did stumble upon a shiny bike for himself. The fun has just begun!

5 comments:

  1. Yay!!! I think Breeze is a perfect bike name!!! Dr Pepper, YO!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You guys are going to have so much fun! So glad you got a bike! Let's ride soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to the wheel world! Looking forward to riding with y'all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats!! Breeze is cute!!! HAve fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so cute with Skye Breeze! And such a natural on the bike!!!

    ReplyDelete