Sunday, December 23, 2012

The Great North Texas Santa Run: 2012 Edition

The Great North Texas Santa Run has quickly become one of my favorite holiday running traditions.  This was the 2nd annual run to support My Possibilities, a continuing education center for adults with cognitive disabilities in North Texas.  The goal last year was to set a world record for number of Santas running in a race at once.  I am pretty sure that they were far from the record, but we had a blast and were sold on the whole idea. Race registration included a Santa suit complete with hat, beard, and belt. We all wore race bibs, but they were just for show as we were not chipped timed nor were we racing for PRs.  The word is out about this race too with approximately 2,700 Santa runners in attendance this year--about 1,000 more than last year!


We had a great group of frunners in attendance and were lucky enough to run with Mark and his son Cairo again just as we did last year.  Mark had created the most subdued Christmas playlist ever to and was playing it over his speakers.  I laughed every time a new song came on and he would ask "is this a good one?" This year's race was warmer than last year and it turned into a 3.1 mile Santa strip tease--what a sight seeing various Santas in different stages of undress.  I have to admit that the material (made of the finest synthetic felt in China) had no wicking properties nor did it breathe well.  Chafing was most certainly a concern!

Santa Frunners: Cairo, Mark, Rick, Cherry, Me, Mr K, Briana, Elaine, and Peanut
After the race we enjoyed more laughs, pictures, and a delicious breakfast. I am already looking forward to next year and I hope that you will join us.

We found Erin!
I hope that all of you have a wonderful holiday surrounded by all of those who you love most in the world! 

3 comments: