Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Grasslands Trail Half: A Worthy Rematch

After a solid eight months of very structured road running, Mr K and I unofficially made March our "trail month" -- hitting local single track dirt trails for all of our long runs.  It made for a whole bunch of fun and also a great change of pace from the grind that the road can bring.  Trail Month also served another purpose for us as we would be running the Grasslands Trail Half on March 23.  Grasslands and I go wayyyy back to 2010 when I ran it as my first trail race.  It was an awful day full of character building as the temperatures plummeted into the 30s and several inches of rain was dumped on the area....eventually turning to sleet and then later snow.  Typical Texas Spring.  I was fairly certain that I had caught hypothermia and I was also certain that I never wanted to set foot on a trail again.  However, once I was home and warm I was pretty darned proud of myself for tackling something so far out of the norm for me. 

That being said, it took me a full year to return to the trails, but I finally got back out there at Grasslands 2011.  The day could not have been more different--instead of mud we ran through some intense sand.  It was like running on a dry beach, such a different challenge than just one year earlier.  I missed Grasslands 2012 due to a conference, so I was happy to get out there for another rematch with my old foe.

Does A Runner Girl Poop In the Woods? Not This One!
It was rainy and chilly when we arrived, but nothing like the weather in 2010 so I wasn't too concerned.  This was a very special occasion for Mary (bringer of cupcakes for my birthday races) as it was her 50th birthday and 1st trail race!  Mary celebrates her birthday like no other and I laughed as I overheard her tell half of the porta potty line that she was celebrating today. 

It was not raining as we headed out, but the thunder was rumbling and a few flashes of lightning could be seen.  I was afraid that I was overdressed, as I warmed up fairly quickly, but was feeling thankful for my heavier shirt by the end of the race.  They say that it isn't a trail race unless you get lost...and we did....all of us....approximately a half a mile into the race.  Womp. Womp. 

Celebrating  with Katie, Mama C, & Mary--Birthdays and First Halfs for them!
I focused on running a comfortable pace and enjoying the scenery.  I feel like such a different runner on the trails, there is no stress about pace or splits, it is all about fun.  We made it to the first aide station (4 miles in) without too much excitement (after getting lost), but after that things got more interesting.  As soon as we headed back onto the trail we began to get pelted with small hail.  Now THAT is a new running weather first for me.  I could feel the wind pick up and the rain began to fall a little bit harder.

As the rain continued to come down the trail condition began to worsen.  The thick sand and clay mix together to make a fantasically slippery mud!  I was hoping for a new course PR, but wasn't sure if that would happen between getting lost and the mud.  I had to slow way down in a few spots, but kept my forward momentum going.  Another wave of hail came and I laughed as Mr K instructed me to cover my head with my hydration pack if it got any bigger.  Forunately it never got larger than pea sized.

Pre Race With Mr K
After the second aide station (around mile 10) we focused on hammering home the final 3.5 miles.  The race is called a half marathon, but it is really 13.5 miles--a little more for your money, I suppose.  My legs and back were getting pretty fatigued at this point, but I knew that the end was near and that kept me pushing forward.  We hit an open section near the dam and I was really able to pick up my pace and open my stride.  It felt so good to stretch it out like that!  In a cruel twist the final couple of miles were uphill, and felt alot harder than they probably should have.

When the finish line was in view I opened it up and gave it all that I had for the final kick!  Mr K thought that I was trying to pass him, but I was not racing him that day.  I knew that a new course PR would be a matter of seconds and I wanted it pretty badly at that point...and I got it!  Looking back at the old data, I can see that I ran about 2 tenths of a mile further this time and still got in about 20 seconds faster, even with the mud.  I'll take it!

After the race we had great time hanging out and cheering everyone on to the finish line.  I am very proud of Katie as she ran her first half marathon EVER! And also of Mary for her first trail half marathon on her 50th birthday--what a tough day for both of them to take on that challenge. 

 DRC Post Race Reunion with Stude
There is just something about Grasslands that keeps me coming back each spring.  The course is not exceptionally beautiful and the weather is usually nuts, but we all have our sentimental favorites and I suppose Grasslands is one of mine.

(Thanks ALWAYS to Mama C for the awesome pictures!)

3 comments:

  1. Great recap, MK! Way to handle the crummy conditions and still PR! I also think trail running is a lot more enjoyable — even when you get lost and the trail turns to mud.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My first trail race was Grasslands, err, Mudlands in 2010... Sad to say I haven't been back since. Another great race for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The weather at Grasslands 2010 makes more sense with your race at White Rock Marathon 2011. Sounds like you've hit a lot of the major yuck weather! Congrats on the PR, you're a bad ace, MK!

    ReplyDelete