Some people run with reckless abandon, but I love numbers and data. I don't run just to accumulate piles of numbers, but I do enjoy looking back at them to help quantify my journey. Without further delay, a look back at my numbers and goals for 2014.
Run 1100+ Miles in 2014.
As I've stated before, I don't see myself as the type of runner who would keep a daily run streak as it does not fit my training style or purpose. I have, however, managed to create a bit of an annual mileage streak for myself. Back in 2010 I completed my first ever 1000 mile running year. I really liked how this amount of mileage "felt" and decided to keep the goal for the following year. In 2011 I trained for my first marathon and my mileage got a slight bump up as a result and it put me in the 1100 mile range. Once again, this amount of mileage felt like a good place to me and I decided to see if I could maintain if for another year. I finished 2014 with 1160.7 miles which brings my 1000+ mile streak to 5 years and my 1100+ streak to 4 years. I do love me some consistency! I am up about 31 miles from last year, I think because I was able to balance high cycling miles and running miles a little bit better this year. I need to look back and find my all-time mileage total, I'm estimating that it is approaching 6,500 miles since I started this journey in the late spring of 2008. I focused on a strong base this year and I will continue that focus into the new year.
Become A Stronger Cyclist.
In 2013 I had goals to complete such challenges as the Shiner GASP century ride and back-to-back Grand Fondos at Tulsa Tough. I finished each of these challenges, although painfully slow at times, so I decided to work on becoming more efficient and mentally strong on my bike in 2014. I took some terrific indoor cycling classes with Coach Frank and Tri-Now Endurance in February and March and I attended their cycling base camp at Tin Star Ranch in the Texas Hill Country. I learned a great deal about cycling form and mechanics from Coach Frank and I attempted to tackle some small mountains out in the Hill Country. I felt like I was getting stronger, but decided to take it one step further by upgrading my bike to a Cannondale SuperSix named Johan (get it, Canon...Johan Pachelbel....har, har). The full carbon bike was much more responsive and I felt an immediate boost - and it might have just been mental! We took a trip back to Tin Star in late July and I was able to make it up some of the mountains that had humbled me so back in early March. I ended up with 1140 miles on my bike this year - an all time high! I am making it a goal to stay in the 1000 mile base range on my bike as well and to continue to grow in both abilities and confidence.
Run and PR a Marathon.
I train hard for and run one marathon a year, so I am certainly taking a gamble as I only have one shot at that personal record. This year we selected the California International Marathon in Sacramento, California on December 7. The shift in training schedule was nice as my highest mileage month was in November instead of August like the previous 2 years. I felt like I would have a strong race, but I don't know if I had that "PR feeling" during my training. The week of the race was one of the most challenging that I have ever had as we lost my beloved grandmother very suddenly the Sunday before marathon day. Marathons are emotional to begin with, but this one was a real roller coaster. I feel like I ran with a special angel on my shoulder that day and came out with 4:11:12. Certainly a time that I can be proud of, but short of my personal best by about 5 minutes. I'm not sure where we will marathon next year, but I like the late fall/early winter training schedule.
I ran 11 races this year, which seems to be the average for the last few years. I also did 9 bike rallies and 2 multi-day bike camps at Tin Star Ranch. Race distances include 1 marathon, 6 half marathons (life total of 48), 1 25K, 1 20K, and 2 5Ks. I got a nice trail half marathon PR at Grasslands in 2:12:43 - about 14 minutes faster than my previous record. I spent 104 hours training in the gym - mostly in boot camp and Pilates classes. The biggest news might have been that I learned to swim in August. I absolutely love it and I have swum approximately 26 miles since then. I am looking forward to attacking my first sprint triathlon coming up in March 2015.
While the numbers are fun, they do not tell the whole story. I could not do it alone and have run many of these miles with my best friend, husband, and training partner Mr K. We constantly push and pull each other and I could not imagine doing it without him by my side (or sometimes just in front of me). It is 100% his fault that I am swimming as he took the triathlon leap in 2014, completing his first Ironman 70.3 in early April. It was his gentle nudge that got me into the pool on that hot August day. It sounds cliche, but I fully believe that I have been given the best group of friends on the planet. It has been an honor to cheer them on, both in person and virtually, as they have managed to accomplish nothing short of the incredible. They push me (and sometimes pull me) and encourage me to go beyond what I thought was ever possible.
No comments:
Post a Comment