The Chicago Marathon was the center of a perfect storm of events as the American Music Therapy Association annual conference was held in the Chicago area the week following the race (traditionally held in mid-November). AMTA Conference is always a highlight of my fall as it is a wonderfully busy time of renewal, service, networking, learning, energizing, etc, etc, etc.
To add to the fun, Andrew (the original music therapy frunner) from the Frozen Tundra (aka North Dakota) was also running the marathon and challenged me and my region (Southwestern Region) to a fundraising duel with his region (MidwesternRegion) with all funds going to support the mission of AMTA. I was overwhelmed by the generosity of my colleagues, frunners, family, and friends as I was able to raise $1,728! I still can’t believe THAT happened and I am sincerely thanking all of you for your support in this endeavor. It really made the marathon experience that much more special knowing that you all supported not only me, but a cause that is near and dear to my heart. Okay, enough of the uncharacteristic mushy stuff….you are probably wondering who won the challenge. Well, Andrew and the Midwestern folks put up a good fight, but I am proud to announce that the Southwestern Region was crowned the champions! The contest was close with Andrew’s side raising $1,610 for a grand total of $3,338—making AMTA the REAL winner in this contest. Check out the humorous video that Andrew created for the conference….you don’t want to miss this! It tells the story way better that I do, and only takes a few minutes.
![]() |
| Original Music Therapy Frunners |
| AMTA Running Club |
![]() |
| SHSU Alums are so colorful!! Eat 'em up Kats! |
While exhausting and a little overwhelming, I am always sad to see the end of conference. I have said many times that I am fortunate to belong to a profession that feels like a family with conferences that feel like family reunions. I am already looking forward to AMTA 2013 in Jacksonville, Florida!
| Leaving AMTA in style! |



No comments:
Post a Comment