Friday, November 30, 2012

Adventures in the Desert: Ironman AZ

There are times in my life where I have found myself surrounded by utter greatness.  It is in these moments that I pause, look around, and wonder just how I managed to find myself here.   This was the case in the early hours of November 16 when I found myself in a van surrounded by 5 very special frunners as we headed west towards Tempe, AZ to watch our very own Drum become an IronMan.

Our 90210 Shot Taken Somewhere Near Nowhere, Texas
Erin found wonderful accommodations for us in the desert outside of Tempe—a sweet five bedroom house complete with a big kitchen, hot tub, and sweeping desert views. Yes, we had finally had our long dreamed of “Frunner Compound”. 

Byron, Ninja, and Mama C--no shortage of hi jinks

Frunner Compound Housemates
If you are living in the Frunner Compound then you know that you are going to be expected to hit the ground running early every morning.  We started Saturday off with by exploring the neighborhood on foot.  Some of the views were spectacular and we great time running up hills and surveying the land.  After devouring delicious breakfast tacos we took off for Ironman Central to meet up with Drum at the practice swim.  There definitely was an air of excitement at the race site and I could only imagine what tomorrow might bring.

 
I will never forget the many sights that I saw on Ironman Day.  I don’t have the words to properly convey it to you in a simple narrative, so instead I am choosing some of my favorite pictures.  We are lucky to have a heck-of-a photographer in our circle—Mama C was EVERYWHERE with that camera during our trip and took pictures that would make the official race photographer green with envy.
The 1st Of Many Smiles
We Brought The Noise
The Iron Process Begins...

Ninja and I Make a Spectating Plan

Living Her Ironman Dream
The Drum Squad



This Ironman Needs More Cowbell
Happy Runner Girl!

Troy had an important stop before finishing!
So proud of my #kindredspirit


Texas Iron


Parting Shot

I have said this a hundred times and I am sure that I will say it a hundred more, I am not sure how I found myself amongst such a group of people….but I am glad I am here and I will hang around as long as they let me.

(Thanks to Mama C, as always, for allowing me to use her pictures--this blog would be lifeless without her images.)

1 comment:

  1. I could look at these pics all day. Thanks for the post and the reminder of what a great group of people y'all are and how fortunate I was to hear the cheers on that day.

    ReplyDelete